Featured post

'Thinking Outside the Box'- The Bob Animations

I give you the first of 'The Bob Animations.' I hope you enjoy this little animation. The next one is already in production!!!

Thursday, 28 April 2016

'Looking' Introductions- The Bob Animations

Having completed 'Thinking Outside the Box', I'm diving straight into another of the stack of storyboards Bob gave me. This one was simply titled 'Looking'. I've made a Gif of the majority of the storyboard that I have. But it was a little jumbled with a few strands of additional ideas. The below is a compilation of the largest chunks.



What with the way the character walks into the foreground and away again I feel this animation lends itself to 3D. And seeing as the narrative here is a little ambiguous, I fancy playing around with the concept of looking. What is the character looking for? What kind of scene should I set?

Initially I felt that retaining the big empty white space might be the way to go. So that there is no right or wrong way up and the character could wander in from all angles. Close up, far away, side to side, top to bottom. Perhaps camera views from above and below. I feel like referencing the kids TV show Pocoyo again. Using only faint shadows to indicate the floor for the character.

'Pocoyo'



A second scenario that came to mind was a film noire environment. Channeling the super sleuth of the 1920's and 30's. A little like Humphrey Bogart in 'The Maltese Falcon.' Following that train of thought I was reminded of a game released a while ago called 'White Night' which took an entirely black and white approach. The game is set in 1938 and part of the story and its mechanics are based in light.

Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade in 'The Maltese Falcon'




'White Night' by Osome Studio




I feel drawn to trying out something very similar to white night. Exploring abstract spaces entirely by lighting, perhaps creating a variety of gobos and such while the character wanders about searching for something with his little magnifying glass. I'll do some photoshop concepts to see which I feel works best. Then again, I may entertain both versions and create two animations!

No comments:

Post a Comment